How to Mail Merge Labels
Mail merge is a popular tool for mass producing custom or personalized items. But many people are unfamiliar with the term and unsure of how to utilize it for their projects. Below, we tackle some common frequently asked questions related to mail merge and step out how to use it in Maestro Label Designer and Microsoft Word (2003 and 2007 editions).
Mail Merge Frequently Asked Questions
Save time with the mail merge feature! Here are answers to the internet's most searched questions on the topic.
What is mail merge?
A mail merge (or data merge) is a method of auto-inserting data. It takes the time and effort out of creating personalized content. A number of programs offer a mail merge tool to help with address labeling, name tag creation, certificate printing, email personalization, and more.
How does mail merge work?
The mail merge functionality pulls the information from a list of data. It then inserts the appropriate fields into your document, design, email, etc.
What programs offer label mail merges?
Dozens of standard programs offer mail merge, but the most common for label mail merges are Maestro Label Designer and Microsoft Word.
Is mail merge free?
Mail merge in most programs is a free tool. It's included free in both Maestro Label Designer and Microsoft Word.
How do you create a data list for mail merge?
The functionality of each program varies. Some programs, like Microsoft Word, offer the ability to build your data list within the mail merge tool, while others, like Maestro Label Designer, require it to be imported. If you're importing a separate data list document, here's how to get started:
- Open a program to create your list. Popular programs include Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, and Notepad.
- Add titles to each column. Choose unique titles for every column.
- Enter your information.
- Save the document.
What file formats are needed for mail merge?
Maestro Label Designer and Microsoft word accept .csv, .txt, .xls, and .xlsx file formats. Microsoft Word also accepts Outlook and Apple contact lists.
How To Create Labels Using Mail Merge
Instead of typing each label individually, follow these steps to import data and have it load instantly onto your design.
Maestro Label Designer
Maestro Label Designer is an online design program created exclusively for OnlineLabels.com customers. It includes templates for every label size and configuration we offer, in addition to a suite of tools and features like mail merge. Follow the summarized steps below to begin a mail merge using Maestro Label Designer.
- Select "Mail Merge" in the "Tools" menu.
- Upload your data list.
- Choose how you would like the program to insert your data - as separate fields, one field, or as barcodes.
- Select which fields you'd like to insert using the green arrow.
- Click "Add To Design" to add them to your canvas. They will show up as: <<COLUMN TITLE>>.
- Move your mail merge placeholders into the correct place on your label.
- Choose the "Preview" tab in the top gray bar to remove the placeholder text and view the information in your data list.
- Click the white arrows in the top gray bar to cycle through each label.
- Hit print and enjoy a sheet full of personalized labels!
Microsoft Word 2003
Follow the summarized steps below to begin a mail merge using Microsoft Word 2003.
- Click through the following menus: Tools > Letters and Mailings > Mail Merge.
- Select "Labels" from the mail merge sidebar.
- Choose "Label Options" and find the label size you're looking for.
- Upload your data list or click on "Type a new list."
- Select which fields/format you'd like to use.
- Preview your labels and ensure everything looks as intended.
- Hit "Complete the merge" and then run through the print dialog to finish.
Microsoft Word 2007
Follow the summarized steps below to begin a mail merge using Microsoft Word 2007.
- Click "Mail Merge" in the "Mailings" tab.
- Select "Labels."
- Choose your printer type, label vendor, and product number.
- Hit "Select Recipients" back in the "Mailings" tab.
- Upload your data list or click on "Type New List."
- Preview your labels using the "Preview Results" button in the "Mailings" tab.
- Hit "Finish & Merge" and print your labels.
Mail merge is a quick and efficient way to create professional-looking labels and individualized content in no time. Use mail merge for business and personal reasons, from return address labels to product barcoding. For more information on how to mail merge labels, call our customer service team at 1-888-575-2235.