Breaking Down Your Label Options for DYMO Printers
Why do you need special labels for your DYMO® printer? Which labels are compatible with your DYMO printer model? Are all "compatible" labels the same?
DYMO Frequently Asked Questions
If you're running out of labels for your DYMO® label printer, read these common questions before stocking back up.
How do DYMO LabelWriter printers work?
DYMO label printers utilize direct thermal printing technology. Using a thermal print-head, the chemically treated labels blacken into the shape of your image or text on contact. They don't need ink, toner, or ribbons to operate.
How are labels used differently by DYMO printers versus other direct thermal printers?
DYMO printer-compatible labels have an oblong hole cut between each label. These index holes or registration marks tell the printer where one label stops and the next begins. They're required for the labels to feed and print correctly. Without them, the printer's photo sensor may trigger a "printer is out of paper" error.
Are there different types of labels for DYMO printers?
Labels compatible with DYMO printers can come in different materials, shapes, and sizes. They can be switched in and out of the printer based on your use and any required characteristics.
For instance, we manufacture a standard white material as well as a removable one (a popular choice among Amazon FBA sellers). We also offer a weatherproof / waterproof option for applications that come into contact with moisture for water or frequent and heavy handling.
How do I know which material I need?
Skip down to our Material Selection Guide, a series of tables designed to help you decide just that.
Can I use DYMO label materials outside?
Unfortunately, no direct thermal label materials are made for long-term outdoor use. Because direct thermal printers and labels uses heat to create your image, the sun will have the same effect, darkening your entire label.
Do you offer the same size label I'm currently using?
Why choose Online Labels' DYMO printer-compatible labels over the DYMO brand labels available at office supply stores?
We use only the highest quality materials, continually test our products, and are always looking for new materials and services we can offer to benefit you. We want to make your time with us and our labels as quick and easy as possible.
That's also why we have no minimum order quantity requirements, a "no hassle" return policy, create custom sizes for you upon request, ship out our products same-day if possible, and offer award-winning customer service. Not to mention, the 40-90% savings you'll receive when purchasing our products.
How can you offer the lowest priced DYMO-compatible labels?
Because we manufacture our labels in-house, there's no markup from office supply stores or distributors along the way. We cut out the middleman so we can pass on the savings to you.
How do you load labels into a DYMO printer?
Next time you need to insert a roll of DYMO-compatible labels into your printer, follow these easy steps.
- Open the cover of your LabelWriter printer.
- Press the label eject button if you have labels still in the feed slot.
- Remove the end of the spool so you can discard the finished core.
- Insert the new roll onto the spool, matching the directional white arrow printed on the inside of the spool.
- Replace the end of the spool, sliding it until it's firmly pressed against the edge of the label roll.
- Unroll the labels and insert the loose end into the feed path. Press the LED button for the printer to automatically adjust the position of the label within the feed path and feed the first label.
- Check the orientation of the labels to ensure they're correct for printing (facesheet-side down, liner-side up).
- Adjust the label guide to fit snugly against your label roll (if applicable).
- Close the cover.
DYMO Material Selection Guide
In an effort to make your decision as informed and easy as possible, we've listed our material descriptions, specifications, and common uses below. Though each of our materials has its own set of uses and applications, they are all designed to feed well through your LabelWriter and produce excellent results.
- DYMO Printer-Compatible Standard White Labels – The standard white direct thermal material is made of a smooth, bright white matte paper and coated with an all-temperature adhesive. It's ideal for large scale printing of warehouse, shipping, or barcode labels.
- DYMO Printer-Compatible Removable Labels – The removable direct thermal material is a smooth, bright white matte paper backed with a general purpose removable adhesive. It holds well initially, but can be removed or repositioned without leaving residue behind.
- DYMO Printer-Compatible Weatherproof Labels – The weatherproof direct thermal material consists of a synthetic white matte facesheet that is top-coated for direct thermal printing. These blank thermal rolls work well where frequent handling and contact with moisture are common. The adhesive is aggressive and capable of withstanding freezer conditions.
|Standard White (DT)||Removable (RD)||Weatherproof (DW)|
|Compatible with High-Speed Direct Thermal Printers||●||●||●|
|Waterproof / Resistant||●|
Material Common Uses
|Standard White (DT)||Removable (RD)||Weatherproof (DW)|
Size Cross-Reference List
Know your DYMO product number? Use the following cross-reference chart to find the compatible OnlineLabels.com product.
|DYMO® Label Product Number||Label Size||OnlineLabels.com Product Number|
|30252™||1.125" x 3.5"||RL2206|
|30256™||2.3125" x 4"||RL2189|
|30258™||2.125" x 2.75"||RL2897|
|30323™||2.125" x 4"||RL2207|
|30326™||1.8" x 3.1"||RL3664|
|30327™||0.5625" x 3.4375"||RL2209|
|30330™||0.75" x 2"||RL2212|
|30334™||2.25" x 1.25"||RL2895|
|30336™||1" x 2.125"||RL2886|
|99019™||2.3125" x 7.5"||RL2896|
|1744907™||4" x 6"||RL2853|
DYMO Label Printer Compatibility Chart
Once you've chosen a label size and found the compatible OnlineLabels.com product number, confirm it works with your printer model using the chart below.
|DYMO Printer Model||Compatible OnlineLabels.com Label Products|
|LabelWriter 450||RL2206, RL2189, RL2897, RL2207, RL3664, RL2209, RL2212, RL2895, RL2886, RL2896|
|LabelWriter 450 Duo||RL2206, RL2189, RL2897, RL2207, RL3664, RL2209, RL2212, RL2895, RL2886, RL2896|
|LabelWriter 450 Turbo||RL2206, RL2189, RL2897, RL2207, RL3664, RL2209, RL2212, RL2895, RL2886, RL2896|
|LabelWriter 450 Twin Turbo||RL2206, RL2189, RL2897, RL2207, RL3664, RL2209, RL2212, RL2895, RL2886, RL2896|
|LabelWriter 4XL||RL2206, RL2189, RL2897, RL2207, RL3664, RL2209, RL2212, RL2895, RL2886, RL2896, RL2853|
|LabelWriter SE450||RL2206, RL2189, RL2897, RL2207, RL3664, RL2209, RL2212, RL2895, RL2886, RL2896|
Whether you're a new DYMO printer owner buying your first labels or a veteran label-printer, we hope this guide helped you explore your label options and answer those pesky questions lingering in the back of your mind.
If we left any stone unturned, please reach out to our customer service team at 1-888-575-2235 who will be more than happy to assist you in the selection process.
Ready to go?DYMO-compatible labels
Online Labels® does not sell DYMO® brand labels. DYMO and all other DYMO brand product names and SKU trademarks are trademarks of DYMO Corporation. DYMO Corporation does not sponsor or endorse any product made or sold by Online Labels.